Are the critiques in "All the things I hate about Python" valid?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Mon Feb 19 07:23:43 EST 2018

Alain Ketterlin <alain at universite-de-strasbourg.fr.invalid>:
> Your claim essentially is: since we cannot prove everything, let's not
> even try to prove anything. Go on if you think this is the right way to
> think about typing.

This discussion is far too metaphysical.

Static type declarations give you something at a cost. They give you:

 * Performance (by several orders of magnitude).

 * Static type checking (-> better quality).

They cost:

 * More code to type (-> worse quality, lower productivity).

In my experience it is far easier to produce correct code in Python than
in, say, C++ or Java.

Back to metaphysics: OO has spent far too much energy in ontology. You
shouldn't judge an object based on the class it belongs to.

Marko