[OT] multicore/cpu history Re: Are the critiques in "All the things I hate about Python" valid?

Adriaan Renting renting at astron.nl
Mon Feb 19 06:39:51 EST 2018

Adriaan Renting        | Email: renting at astron.nl
Software Engineer Radio Observatory
ASTRON                 | Phone: +31 521 595 100 (797 direct)
P.O. Box 2             | GSM:   +31 6 24 25 17 28
NL-7990 AA Dwingeloo   | FAX:   +31 521 595 101
The Netherlands        | Web: http://www.astron.nl/~renting/

>>> On 17-2-2018 at 22:02, in message
<CAPTjJmpK5iACzM+f_SJauHSq0OAQkDpcJs-Zt6-acPy3KKLzYA at mail.gmail.com>,
Chris
Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 5:05 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>> On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 15:25:15 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

>>> Totally not true. The GIL does not stop other threads from
running.
>>> Also, Python has existed for multiple CPU systems pretty much since
its
>>> inception, I believe. (Summoning the D'Aprano for history lesson?)
>>
>> If you're talking about common desktop computers, I think you're
>> forgetting how recent multicore machines actually are. I'm having
>> difficulty finding when multicore machines first hit the market, but
it
>> seems to have been well into the 21st century -- perhaps as late as
2006
>> with the AMD Athelon 64 X2:
>
> No, I'm talking about big iron. Has Python been running on multi-CPU
> supercomputers earlier than that?
>
>> By the way, multiple CPU machines are different from CPUs with
multiple
>> cores:
>>
>> http://smallbusiness.chron.com/multiple-cpu-vs-multicore-33195.html
>
> Yeah, it was always "multiple CPUs", not "multiple cores" when I was
> growing up. And it was only ever in reference to the expensive
> hardware that I could never even dream of working with. I was always
> on the single-CPU home-grade systems.

Multicore became a thing with the Pentium 4 hyperthreading around ~2002
for consumers, and
multi cpu was a thing much longer, even with "consumer grade"
hardware:

I remember running 2 Mendocino 300 MHz Celerons on a Pentium II Xeon
motherboard to get a
multi-cpu machine for running multiple virtual machines for testing
purposes around 1998.
This was not as Intel intended, but a quite cheap consumer grade
hardware solution.