Gmane seems to be gone

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sun Feb 18 04:16:29 EST 2018

Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid>:

> Does anybody have any idea what it would take to set up a private NNTP
> server that served articles from a dozen or so IMAP mailboxes?
>
> How hard would it be to write something like that in Python?  I've got
> a pretty good handle on the IMAP end of things, but I've got no clue
> about the NNTP server end.

I bet NNTP (<URL: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3977>) is a simpler
beast than IMAP.

Maybe Twisted has some support for it, I don't know, but writing a
server from scratch wouldn't be too bad, either.

However, the simplest way forward might be to just take an off-the-shelf
NNTP server and write a IMAP/NNTP gateway bot that acts as a client
bothways. Then you can use Python's nntplib and imaplib.

Marko