Gmane seems to be gone

breamoreboy at gmail.com breamoreboy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 02:14:09 EST 2018

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 1:18:20 AM UTC, Grant Edwards wrote:
> I've been dreading this moment for a couple years: it looks like
> gmane.org is gone.  The original operator/maintainer gave up a couple
> years ago and pulled the plug. Somebody else took over at that point.
> The Web UI was never revived, but the basic NNTP<->mailing-list gateway
> continue to work -- until tonight.  Now the domain is gone.  Perhaps
> it's just an oversight, but I've got a bad feeling...
>
> I really, really prefer using slrn and an NNTP server to follow
> mailing lists, and I was using gmane to follow about a dozen of them
> (including the Python list).  At least for python, there's still a
> Usenet gateway.  Unfortunately, that's not true for any of the other
> lists that I used to follow on gmane.org.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what it would take to set up a private NNTP
> server that served articles from a dozen or so IMAP mailboxes?
>
> How hard would it be to write something like that in Python?  I've got
> a pretty good handle on the IMAP end of things, but I've got no clue
> about the NNTP server end.
>
> --
> Grant

I can still see it.  I subscribe to gwene.com.stackoverflow.feeds.julia-lang and I received the last two questions at 02:05 and 03:33 UTC.  I recall that when things used to go up the creek on the Python side of things I'd email larsi at gnus dot org and he'd restart things.  I've no idea what to do nowadays, sorry.

--
Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.