Replying on a tweet with Twython

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Feb 17 09:13:50 EST 2018

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 12:53:08 +0100, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> Cecil Westerhof <Cecil at decebal.nl> writes:
>
>> I just found Twython. I managed to post a tweet with:
>>     from twython import Twython
>>     twitter = Twython(APP_KEY, APP_SECRET,
>>                       OAUTH_TOKEN, OAUTH_TOKEN_SECRET)
>>     posted = twitter.update_status(status = quote)
>>
>> But I want to send a reply on this tweet. I tried:
>>         posted = twitter.update_status(status = follow_up, in_reply_id
>>         = posted['id_str'])
>>
>> But that does not work. How could I make it work?

Define "does not work". What happens when you try?

- the computer catches fire;

- Blue Screen Of Death;

- you get a Python traceback;

- the police raid your house;

- the computer says "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that";

- something else?

If you get a traceback, don't keep it a secret, please copy and paste it
so we can read it and possibly help.

If you *don't* get a traceback, what value does `posted` get? Please run
this:

print(posted, type(posted))

> I need to use the following:
>     posted = twitter.update_status(status = follow_up,
>     in_reply_to_status_id = posted['id'])

Okay. What happens when you try?

--
Steve