Are the critiques in "All the things I hate about Python" valid?

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Sat Feb 17 02:29:23 EST 2018

Am 17.02.18 um 06:12 schrieb Stefan Ram:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> quotes:
>>> Python is relatively slow compared to programming languages that
>>> run closer to the operating system. The run time of the countdown
>>> example above is orders of magnitude faster when implemented
>>> in other language runtimes.
>
>    What seems to be especially slow is printing many long
>    lines (from a loop) into the console of IDLE.

The guy in the article has not printed anything, but you are right,
printing in IDLE is slow for lonng lines, especially. The reason is,
that the Tk text widget is slow if the lines are long due to inferior
layout algorithms.

Gregor Cramer wrote a new implementation last year:
	https://core.tcl.tk/tips/doc/trunk/tip/466.md

It's fully backwards compatible, orders of magnitude faster in specific
circumstances and will appear in Tk 8.7. Testers are most welcome.
Sadly, the Tcl/Tk developer community is extremely small. The new text
widget was a big fuss last year, but I haven't heard anything about it
since almost a year :(

	Christian