Are the critiques in "All the things I hate about Python" valid?

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 01:25:03 EST 2018

I've just reread everyone's replies and one point you mentioned about
the GIL caught my eye ...

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 11:16 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> Asynchronicity and concurrency are hard. Getting your head around a
> program that is simultaneously doing two things is inherently tricky.
> Anything that simplifies this (such as providing atomic and
> thread-safe operations on high-level data structures) will make this
> sort of work FAR easier. That's what Python gives you. CPython's
> current implementation (with the GIL) is reasonably easy to
> conceptualize, and requires very few other locks to make everything
> work sanely; all attempts to remove the GIL from CPython have involved
> other tradeoffs, usually resulting in significant performance
> penalties on single-threaded code.

I am curious as to what efforts have been attempted to remove the GIL
and what tradeoffs resulted and why?  Is there a single article
somewhere that collates this information?  I fear if I try to Google
this I will get a lot of scattered pieces that I will have to wade
through to get to what I want to know, where you (or someone else)
might be able to point me to a good link.  Or kindly summarize
yourself the relevant information.

Thanks!

--
boB