How to work on a package

Roel Schroeven roel at roelschroeven.net
Wed Feb 7 15:34:08 EST 2018

dieter schreef op 7/02/2018 8:21:
> Likely, there are many ways to execute tests for your package.

> I am using "setuptools" for packaging (an extension
> of Python's standard "disutils"). Its "setup.py" supports the "test"
> command. This means, properly set up, I can run tests
> with "python setup.py test".

That can solve the testing issue, I guess, even though it feels weird to
me that the most straightforward way doesn't work.

But testing is not the only issue. Often I'd like to start the Python
interpreter to load one of the modules in the package to try some things
out, or write a little script to do the same. These things are very
natural to me when writing Python code, so it seems very strange to me
that there's no easy way when working on a packages.

Don't other people do that?

--
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge
faster than society gathers wisdom.

Roel Schroeven