Packaging uwsgi flask app for non-programmers?

Israel Brewster israel at ravnalaska.net
Tue Feb 6 16:12:26 EST 2018

I have been working on writing an Alexa skill which, as part of it, requires a local web server on the end users machine - the Alexa skill sends commands to this server, which runs them on the local machine. I wrote this local server in Flask, and run it using uwsgi, using a command like: "uwsgi serverconfig.ini".

The problem is that in order for this to work, the end user must:

1) Install python 3.6 (or thereabouts)
2) Install a number of python modules, and
3) run a command line (from the appropriate directory)

Not terribly difficult, but when I think of my target audience (Alexa users), I could easily see even these steps being "too complicated". I was looking at pyinstaller to create a simple double-click application, but it appears that pyinstaller needs a python script as the "base" for the application, whereas my "base" is uwsgi. Also, I do need to leave a config file accessible for the end user to be able to edit. Is there a way to use pyinstaller in this scenario, or perhaps some other option that might work better to package things up?

Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska
5245 Airport Industrial Rd