Why not have a recvall method?

陶青云 qingyun.tao at tophant.com
Sun Feb 4 20:23:54 EST 2018

Thank you, it's very helpful.
I think the recvall should builtin to the _socket module like sendall.

From:  "Dan Stromberg"<drsalists at gmail.com>;
Date:  Mon, Feb 5, 2018 06:01 AM
To:  "陶青云"<qingyun.tao at tophant.com>;
Cc:  "python-list"<python-list at python.org>;
Subject:  Re: Why not have a recvall method?

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 5:26 AM, 陶青云 <qingyun.tao at tophant.com> wrote:
> Hello, all
> The socket object has a `sendall` method that can send all bytes you specified.
> Oppositely, socket only has a recv method. I wonder why there is not a `recvall` method?
> To workaround this, I use `f = socket.makefile('rb')`, then all `f.read(n)`
> Thanks.

You're probably good with socket.makefile('rb').

An alternative that allows things like reading null-terminated input:
http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/~strombrg/bufsock.html

I wrote it and have been using it in production for years.