Fwd: Syntax error

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 15:38:29 EST 2018

On 2/3/2018 2:40 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 2/3/2018 2:10 PM, Kevin Doney wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> *pip3 install --upgrade tensorflow-gpu*
>>
>> When I try the above command I get
>> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>

>> Please help.
>
> This group helps those who help the group -- by asking questions with
> sufficient information to answer.  Post the ENTIRE trackback.
It also helps us to know:
operating system (e.g., windows 10)
what does "when I try" mean? (e.g. at a windows command prompt I entered
...)
What the *'s are for
best is to copy the entire session and paste it into your email. Example

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.192]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\bgailer>pip install foo
Collecting foo
   Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement foo (from
versions: )
No matching distribution found for foo

We could presume in your case that you tried to enter your pip command
in a python interactive session. For example:

C:\Users\bgailer>python
Python 3.3.5 (v3.3.5:62cf4e77f785, Mar  9 2014, 10:35:05) [MSC v.1600 64
bit (AMD64)] on win32
 >>> pip install foo
   File "<stdin>", line 1
     pip install foo
               ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Why did you get that response? Because pip is not a python statement
(python does not have commands); it is an executable program. So you
need to use a command prompt or terminal.