This newsgroup (comp.lang.python) may soon be blocked by Google Groups

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 14:34:53 EST 2018

On 03/02/18 17:56, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> On 2018-02-03 04:33:36 -0800, breamoreboy at gmail.com wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 5:01:58 PM UTC, superchromix wrote:
>>> Our own programming discussion newsgroup, located at
>>> comp.lang.idl-pvwave, started receiving spam messages several months
>>> ago.
>>>
>>> Two weeks ago, access to comp.lang.idl-pvwave was blocked by Google
>>> Groups.
> [...]
>>> Seeing the spam postings in this newsgroup, I expect something
>>> similar may happen to comp.lang.python, soon.
>>
>> That's no big deal as this list used to have a wonderful signal to
>> noise ratio, now it would be better to report the noise to signal
>> ratio.  I've just finished flagging up 45 consecutive messages on the
>> group as spam, all of them from today and all of them from the "Case
>> Solutions" crew.
>>
>> The downside of this list being blocked is that you'd all no doubt
>> miss my wonderful contributions :)  Unless of course a new list is
>> opened, properly moderated, with a really original name like
>> python-users.
>
> You seem to confuse the mailing-list and the newsgroup. The mailing-list
> doesn't have a spam problem, and it is already (lightly) moderated.
>
> The newsgroup does have a spam problem (as well as a few other problems,
> like gmane mangling message-ids and breaking threads). Google groups is
> an interface to the newsgroup.
>
> There is a bi-directional gateway between them, but they aren't the same
> thing.
>
>          hp

No, they are one and the same thing, except that this is automatically
blocked by the numpty moderators, whereas some things that I state on gg
are passed, other things aren't.  It is quite clear that the moderators
are biased against people such as myself who are autistic

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence