This newsgroup (comp.lang.python) may soon be blocked by Google Groups

breamoreboy at gmail.com breamoreboy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 07:33:36 EST 2018

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 5:01:58 PM UTC, superchromix wrote:
> Our own programming discussion newsgroup, located at comp.lang.idl-pvwave, started receiving spam messages several months ago.
>
> Two weeks ago, access to comp.lang.idl-pvwave was blocked by Google Groups.
>
> When trying to access comp.lang.idl-pvwave, a message is now displayed, stating that the group owner needs to remove the spam, and can then apply to Google in order to have access reinstated.
>
> However, old public Usenet groups like this have no owner.  The comp.lang.idl-pvwave group is more than 20 years old.  Hence, there is no way to unblock the group.
>
> This is a serious problem, since the entire collection of postings going back many years has been blocked, no just the spam.  This resource is frequently used by IDL programmers.
>
> Seeing the spam postings in this newsgroup, I expect something similar may happen to comp.lang.python, soon.

That's no big deal as this list used to have a wonderful signal to noise ratio, now it would be better to report the noise to signal ratio.  I've just finished flagging up 45 consecutive messages on the group as spam, all of them from today and all of them from the "Case Solutions" crew.

The downside of this list being blocked is that you'd all no doubt miss my wonderful contributions :)  Unless of course a new list is opened, properly moderated, with a really original name like python-users.

--
Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.