This newsgroup (comp.lang.python) may soon be blocked by Google Groups

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Feb 2 05:06:04 EST 2018

jladasky at itu.edu wrote:
> On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 9:07:15 AM UTC-8, alister wrote:
>
> > simple solution stop using google groups & use either the mailing list or
> > a news server with an NNTP client
>
> Sigh.  I've been on Usenet since 1986.  Is this how it ends?  I will move if I must.
>
> Let me ask those of you who are not using Google Groups: how do you search?
> In my experience, searching through mailing list archives has been poor.

I read using NNTP. I run my own local newserver (leafnode, very simple
to configure) that aggregates feeds from two public NNTP servers which
provides some robustness if things go wrong with either.

By configuring the time for which posts are retained by leafnode (to
quite a long time) I can search back a long way.  As I only read
a few tens of newsgroups this doesn't require much disk space.

--
Chris Green
·