auto-correct a speech-to-text output and relate to of the words based on syllables

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Feb 2 02:53:59 EST 2018

On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 08:14:03 +0100, dieter wrote:

>> The user speaks "Light". The system translates it as "Bright" The user
>> speaks "White" The system translates it as "Bright"
>
> As those words are phonetically quite apart (they have very different
> first consonants), some step in your processing chain does something
> seriously wrong.

I disagree: Light, Bright and White sound very similar. They're identical
except for the first consonant:

/laɪt/
/bɹaɪt/
/waɪt/

and even those consonants sound very similar. Human beings can easily
mishear or fail to distinguish between those words, e.g.:

https://www.wordnik.com/words/we%20tripped%20a%20light%20fan%20dangle

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22brighter+shade+of+pale%22+mondegreen

(the name of the song is *Whiter* Shade of Pale, not "Lighter" or
"Brighter"). We should not assume that the first consonant is always
correct.

Of course we would hope that a speech-to-text system would correctly
match Light/Bright/White/Fright/etc but given the vagaries of human
accents and pronunciation, we shouldn't be surprised if it sometimes gets
them wrong.

--
Steve