ah, progress...

dieter dieter at handshake.de
Fri Dec 21 01:55:04 EST 2018

ant <ant at anthive.com> writes:
>   in order to get this far below i had to edit each
> file and put a try: except: around each import
> statment checking if the module could be found
> like (as an example):
>
> try:
>     import config as cfg
> except:
>     import frog.config as cfg

Is "frog" the package, you want to install?
Then always use "import frog.config ...".

Python locates (top level) packages/modules via the so
called "Python path" (--> "sys.path"). When
you run a script, the "Python path" is extended by the
directory the script resides in -- thus a script typically
can import "local" packages/module (residing in its directory).
However, it is good practise to always access installed
packages via their "official package path" (which
in your case likely means "frog.config").

When you develop a package, it may not yet be installed.
This might hinder you to import in the "official" way.

I work around this by using "setuptools" and its "setup"
function in my "setup.py". "setuptools" supports the
command "develop" (activated via "python setup.py develop")
which "installs" the package in a way that it refers to
the developped sources. This way, I can always
import in the "official" way and nevertheless all
my changes are effective immediately.

Another approach would be to lay out your package in such
a way that it refects the installed structure and
for testing put your script in the directory containing
your top level packages (or extend "sys.path" with this directory).