Complex 'compare'

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Tue Dec 18 09:30:09 EST 2018

Frank,

I am not commenting on your specific code, just asking a question.

If you have two tuples of the same size it does seem that python evaluates
them in the order you want just by doing something like this example I made
with a 2-tuple:

>>> (1, 2) > (2,1)
False
>>> (1, 2) > (1,1)
True
>>> (1, 1) > (1,1)
False

So if you take your database entries and re-order them so the keys you want
to sort by are in order from left to right, and you don't include any that
you don't want to sort by, the above technique may work well enough. Of
course, you may want to re-establish the order and contents afterward.

Of course if you have some None, that messes things up:

>>> (1, 1) > (1,None)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#6>", line 1, in <module>
    (1, 1) > (1,None)
TypeError: '>' not supported between instances of 'int' and 'NoneType'

Unless, of course, they are both None.

>>> (1, None) > (1,None)
False

For python 2.x there was a cmp() function that might have met your needs. It
was removed in 3.x

https://docs.python.org/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html

" The cmp() function should be treated as gone, and the __cmp__() special
method is no longer supported. Use __lt__() for sorting, __eq__() with
__hash__(), and other rich comparisons as needed. (If you really need the
cmp() functionality, you could use the expression (a > b) - (a < b) as the
equivalent for cmp(a, b).)"

But as noted this does not work with your None.

Final comment meant as humor. The following will not work even though it is
complex!

>>> (1 + 2j, 1 - 2j) > (1 + 3j,2 +4j)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#11>", line 1, in <module>
    (1 + 2j, 1 - 2j) > (1 + 3j,2 +4j)
TypeError: '>' not supported between instances of 'complex' and 'complex'

And the reason is obvious as complex numbers have two dimensions so you
might need to compare something like their magnitude as in the length of a
vector ...