Why Python don't accept 03 as a number?

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Sat Dec 8 18:23:36 EST 2018

[DISCLAIMER: less about python than analysis of a puzzle]

Richard,

Thank you for pointing out that c in the puzzle is constrained. That
explains why my 320 answers are too many. It cannot be 0 as "a" is always
zero and it cannot be the three other values that b,d,e are using at the
time. So my earlier solution should say c is any of six available choices.

So 6 * 32 is 192 solutions.

Your analysis requires considering a carry from the right column into the
left. I skipped that by converting something like ab to 10*a+b.

This all began with someone trying to enter 03 which suggests they may have
been starting to look at it your way. As a logic puzzle to do those with
pencil and paper, your analysis is spot on. There is additional info to be
gleaned by looking at adding columns. I chose a perspective on more brute
force methods and whittled it down to less forceful. Given that c was
removed from the equation, though, and that only 6 of 10 options are
available for any given time, I would need another pass at the answers and
for each solution for the others (b,d,e if we agree a is always 0) I would
need to make six entries with c set successively to digits-set(0,b,d,e} or
something like that.

I note that programming some of the kinds of analysis some of these puzzles
use is not as easy in programming languages as a more brute-force approach
that computers are better at than humans.