What Python books to you recommend to beginners?

songbird songbird at anthive.com
Mon Dec 3 11:14:17 EST 2018

A person wrote via e-mail:
> songbird wrote:
>> Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

[post ok'd by them]

> >    my goal in learning python was to use it as a way of
> > picking up OOP concepts in a more concrete way (theory
> > alone doesn't give me enough hands on the bits i need so
> > i tend to just do other things instead).
> >
> >    now that i've used python for a starting project and
> > have that project mostly working i want to step back and
> > work on the OOP aspects.

> A Scandinavian company put out a good series (I think by Lean Publishing).
> The first is "The Python Apprentice", the next is "The Python Journeyman",
> and presumably there is a third that I have yet to see, ie 'Master'.
>
> Perhaps "Clean Code in Python", Packt - doesn't match everyone's style.

  will take a look for things and see what i can find.
so i'll put these on the list.

> Python's 'batteries included' is exemplified by the Python Standard Library.
> Doug Hellman used to blog a 'Python Module of the Week' (see
> https://pymotw.com/3/) which you might review. He has also published a book
> on the PSL through O'Reilly.

  ok, thanks.  :)

> To some extent you may be talking about Design Patterns. Unfortunately, this
> area is terribly confused by certain authors taking concepts from other
> languages, eg Java, and trying to find a Python equivalent. This is a
> grossly non-Pythonic approach. So, I'll join a previous correspondent by
> recommending you stay away from anything 'tainted' by Java-think.

  i would agree with that anyways...

> There are plenty of Python books 'about'. Beyond the 'basics' they tend to
> become more topical, eg Scientific, Financial, Data Analysis... so what
> suits you might not me.

  i'm pretty well read so i can adapt to a lot of
subject matters as long as the concepts are geared
towards what i'm after.  a solid example is a good
thing as long as it covers the concepts - the
problem i usually have with many examples though is
that they are too simplistic to be interesting enough
but that's just me being picky.  ha...

> Your question is rather broad and open-ended. Do you have access to a decent
> library? What is available there? Have you looked at the various free
> books/downloads and YouTube subscriptions? Happy reading!

  i do have access to a library and it is connected to
the rest of the state and country if i can't get any
of the mentioned items within the network.  though i
much prefer an electronic copy because the amount of
time it may take me to get through a longer text.

  songbird