__init__ patterns

Dan Strohl D.Strohl at F5.com
Thu Aug 30 09:24:14 EDT 2018

I will put imports into my __init__ files, so that I can import things from the module directly instead of having to import from a file in the module.

I almost never put code in the __init__'s, I have a couple of times put in something that was designed to modify which routine was imported (i.e., pull this module in if it's a windows box, or that one for other.  Or, use this routine for py 2.x and that one for 3.x.  Even there, I prefer to do it in the files themselves, but sometimes it's just easier to do it at the __init__ level.

I may also put common documentation in the __init__ file that explains the file structure for the module,  how to interact with it, etc...

For many shared functions, I try to maintain a common helper module that is shared by a number of programs, or a helper file in a module if I need to rather than putting it in the __init__

Dan