Broken pip

Michael F. Stemper michael.stemper at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 15:11:30 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-28 13:45, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 4:37 AM, Michael F. Stemper
> <michael.stemper at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2018-08-28 13:19, Larry Martell wrote:

>>> Try doing this:
>>>
>>> sudo python -m pip uninstall pip
>>> sudo apt remove python-pip
>>> sudo apt install python-pip
>>> source .bashrc
>>
>> I'm certainly more comfortable with apt than with pip (probably
>> due to longer experience).
>>
>> What's that last bit, though? From what I can find on-line, it looks as
>> if it would be similar to:
>> . ~/.bashrc
>> but I don't quite understand the point of doing that *after* all of
>> the other stuff.
>
> The dot is an alias for "source", so it's identical (assuming you're
> in your home directory). I'm not sure what the point of it is, but
> maybe it's ensuring that your $PATH is set correctly.

Well, I proceeded as suggested, and things are no longer broken:
user at host$ pip --version
pip 8.1.1 from /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (python 2.7)
user at host$

(The same output before and after doing the "source .bashrc")

I guess that I'll just ignore the messages that tell me to upgrade
my pip.

Thanks to all!

--
Michael F. Stemper
Economists have correctly predicted seven of the last three recessions.