Pylint false positives

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 05:18:13 EDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 7:05 PM, Gregory Ewing
<greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>>
>> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> 3) Every invocation of method() has to execute the class body, which
>>> takes time.
>>

>> That's what happens with every method invocation in Python regardless.
>

> No, it doesn't! Invoking a method involves creating a bound method
> object, which is very small and lightweight. Executing a class
> statement creates a class object, which is enormous by comparison,
> and quite expensive to initialise.

Additionally, "creating a bound method object" is an action which can
be optimized, or even completely optimized out. There have been
proposals to peephole-optimize "x.method(arg)" to a single opcode,
while still maintaining the proper semantics for "f = x.method;
f(arg)", so the creation of the bound method would be skipped where
it's unnecessary. (I think PyPy was looking at something like this?
Not sure.) Even if the bound method is created, proper use of free
lists can make it pretty efficient. Creating a new class object, on
the other hand, MUST be performed sequentially, executing each of the
statements inside it.

ChrisA