Pylint false positives

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 17:49:15 EDT 2018

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 7:33 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
>> Programming is heavily about avoiding duplicated work.
>
> That is one aspect, but overcondensing and overabstracting programming
> logic usually makes code less obvious to its maintainer. It is essential
> to find coding idioms that communicate ideas as clearly as possible. In
> some situations boilerplate and redundancy can help make the code more
> robust, as not every line of code becomes a clever brainteaser.

As Steven already pointed out:

> [W]hat states the intention "These methods are identical except
> in their name" more strongly than creating them in a loop?

What better way is there to communicate the idea "we now create ten
methods according to this template" than a loop?

>> Creating methods is work. Creating many identical (or similar) methods
>> is duplicated work. What's wrong with using a loop to create
>> functions?
>
> I would guess such techniques could come in handy in some framework
> development but virtually never in ordinary application development. In
> a word, steer clear of metaprogramming.

Ah yes, because app development never has situations where lots of
similar code that could benefit from metaprogramming. Blub Paradox
strikes again: since you are not comfortable with metaprogramming, you
never see a need for it, and when you're brought face-to-face with it,
you consider it worse than the alternatives. Me, I consider it a vital
feature, to the extent that I will metaprogram externally if I need
to.

https://github.com/Rosuav/TF2BuffBot/blob/master/drzed.sp#L23
https://github.com/Rosuav/TF2BuffBot/blob/master/gen_effects_tables.py#L118

The Python script generates a bunch of lines of code like this:

sm_drzed_max_hitpoints = CreateConVar("sm_drzed_max_hitpoints", "0",
"Number of hitpoints a normal character has (w/o Assault Suit) - 0 to
leave at default", 0, true, 0.0);

Since SourcePawn has no metaprogramming facilities other than C-style
#define, I have to use a Python script that reads specially-formatted
comments and generates an include file which is then compiled in.
Which is better - to do that, or to have a loop that generates
functions *right in the class that needs them*?

ChrisA