Program to output a subset of the composite numbers

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Wed Aug 15 13:54:56 EDT 2018

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 05:34:06 -0700, tomusatov wrote:
>
>> I am not terribly familiar with Python, but am currently authoring an
>> integer sequence for www.oeis.org and was wondering if anyone in the
>> community could help me with authoring a Python program that outputs,
>> "Composite numbers that are one less than a composite number."
>

> Do you have a function to test for primality? For now, I'll assume you do.
>

> def is_prime(n):
>     # Returns True if n is prime, False otherwise.
>     # implementation left as an exercise
>

> # 0 (and 1) are neither prime nor composite; skip them.
> # 2 and 3 are prime; start at the first composite, 4
> i = 4
> for j in range(5, 1001):
>     if not is_prime(j):
>         print(i)
>     i = j

I think that are "any numbers that are one less than a composite number"
while the OP wants only composite numbers that are one less than a composite
number". In code

from itertools import count, islice

def cntaoltacn():
    prev = None
    for i in count(2):
        if is_prime(i):
            prev = None
        else:
            if prev is not None:
                yield prev
            prev = i

print(list(islice(cntaoltacn(), 20)))
# [8, 9, 14, 15, 20, 21, 24, 25, 26, 27, 32, 33, 34, 35, 38, 39, 44, 45, 48,
49]