Pylint false positives

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Tue Aug 14 03:38:53 EDT 2018

Hi all

Pylint is flagging a lot of lines as errors that I would consider to be
acceptable.

I have an abstract class ClassA with a number of concrete sub-classes.
ClassA has a method which invokes 'self.method_b()' which is defined
separately on each sub-class. Pylint complains that "Instance of 'ClassA'
has no  'method_b' member".

First question - as a matter of style, is Pylint correct? If so, I could
define 'method_b' in ClassA and raise NotImplementedError. Is this
considered more pythonic? The downside is that I have quite a few of them,
so it would add some clutter.

Second question - if my present code is not unpythonic, is there an easy way
to suppress the error messages, without disabling 'no-member' altogether?

Thanks

Frank Millman