How to make python pick up my new-and-shiny openssl shared object

Fetchinson . fetchinson at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:07:08 EDT 2018

The highest version of openssl available on my system is 1.0.0 which
is not good enough for pip these days (or github for that matter). So
I've installed 1.1.0 to a custom location /home/fetch/opt. But if I do

import ssl
ssl.OPENSSL_VERSION

it still shows me that it is using the system default 1.0.0. How do I
tell python to use /home/fetch/opt for the ssl module? Note that I
have /home/fetch/opt as the first entry in LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Also, I
know for a fact that I don't need to recompile python for this so
please don't suggest "just recompile python with the new openssl
library" as the solution :)

By the way my python is 2.7.3.