Fishing from PyPI ?

Chris Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 04:06:23 EDT 2018

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 00:52, Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> Chris Warrick wrote:
> > The unusual domain is a common staple of Mailchimp, which is an e-mail
> > newsletter platform (it was used to mail out the announcement), and
> > they replace all links with tracking ones in their list-manage.com
> > domain.
>
> Sounds like you need to find a mail service that doesn't
> screw around with the contents of your messages. This is
> really quite obnoxious, IMO.

For the record, I’m not in any way affiliated with the PyPA. I’m just
linking to official resources that prove the legitimacy of these
e-mails.

As for finding a better host, it’s not easy. MailChimp, as annoying as
they might be, has built up a good reputation with mail hosts* (of
course, there are a bunch of other services that have such reputation
as well.) However, if you send the e-mail yourself, and big mail hosts
notice you have sent a ton of e-mail, they will probably consider you
a spammer and make your life harder. Especially if your e-mail server
is misconfigured in even the slightest way.

* https://mailchimp.com/features/email-delivery/

PGP: 5EAAEA16