Problems with wxPython _core_.pyd on windows98

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Fri Aug 3 03:55:50 EDT 2018

On 02/08/18 18:02, Wanderer wrote:
> I have a laptop with windows 98 I use to connect to the OBD2 port on my car. I'm trying to install pyobd. I have a build for Python 2.7 for Windows98 that works but I'm having trouble with running wxPython. I get the following error.
I'm sure you have your reasons, but of course Windows 98 hasn't been
supported, by Python, Microsoft, or anybody else, for many years. Are
you sure it wouldn't be easier to use a newer laptop or install Linux?

Support for Windows 98 was dropped in Python 2.6.

> C:\pyobd>python pyobd.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "pyobd.py", line 28, in <module>
>       import wx
>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wx-3.0-msw\wx\__init__.py", line 45, in <module>
>    from wx_core import *
>    File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wx-3.0-msw\wx\_core.py", line4, in <module>
>    import _core_
> Import Error: DLL load failed: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
>

> So what is going on?
>
> Do these pyd files need to be compiled specifically for win98? If so how do I do that? Does python compile these dlls or do I need a C compiler?
If you want to compile extension modules, you need to C compiler Python
was compiled with. I expect this is Visual C++ 6.0 for the last Win9x
releases.