Problems with wxPython _core_.pyd on windows98

Wanderer wanderer at dialup4less.com
Thu Aug 2 12:02:44 EDT 2018

I have a laptop with windows 98 I use to connect to the OBD2 port on my car. I'm trying to install pyobd. I have a build for Python 2.7 for Windows98 that works but I'm having trouble with running wxPython. I get the following error.

C:\pyobd>python pyobd.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pyobd.py", line 28, in <module>
     import wx
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wx-3.0-msw\wx\__init__.py", line 45, in <module>
  from wx_core import *
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\wx-3.0-msw\wx\_core.py", line4, in <module>
  import _core_
Import Error: DLL load failed: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

So what is going on?

Do these pyd files need to be compiled specifically for win98? If so how do I do that? Does python compile these dlls or do I need a C compiler?

Is there an old version of wxPython that will work on windows 98?

Thanks