Are dicts supposed to raise comparison errors

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Aug 1 11:07:29 EDT 2018

On 01/08/2018 14:38, Chris Angelico wrote:
> t's a warning designed to help people port code from Py2 to Py3. It's
> not meant to catch every possible comparison. Unless you are actually
> porting Py2 code and are worried that you'll be accidentally comparing
> bytes and text, just*don't use the -b switch*  and there will be no
> problems.
>
> I don't understand what the issue is here.

I don't either, I have never used the  -b flag until the issue was raised on bitbucket. If someone is testing a program with
reportlab and uses that flag then they get a lot of warnings from this dictionary assignment. Probably the code needs tightening
so that we insist on using native strings everywhere; that's quite hard for py2/3 compatible code.
--
Robin Becker