The perils of multiple Pythons

justin walters walters.justin01 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 19:29:28 EDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 3:24 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2018, justin walters wrote:
>
> With Python 3.5+, venv is a built in module. If using a venv, default to
>> using the binary in the venv. That's what I do anyways.
>>

>   I'm running Python3-3.6.5 and have a developing application in
> ~/development/project/. Can I run 'python3 -m venv ~/development/project/'
> to install it in a directory with existing modules?
>
> Rich
> --

Yes, you can create a virtual env with all of the global packages. Though,
you would probably want to run:
`python3 -m venv ~/development/project/venv` to put the virtualenv files in
their own directory. Then you
just need to activate it with: `source venv/bin/activate`. As long as the
virtualenv is activated, you can interact
with it in the same way you would with the system/global environment. i.e.
running the interpreter will use the binary
from the virtualenv, pip install will install in the virtualenv only, etc.