After update to pip 10 I get: Cache entry deserialization failed, entry ignored

tartley at gmail.com tartley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 10:00:54 EDT 2018

On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 1:59:14 AM UTC-5, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> After I updated pip2/3 to 10 from 9 I sometimes get:
>     Cache entry deserialization failed, entry ignored
>
> For example when I execute:
>     pip3 list --outdated
>
> But not always.
>
> What could be happening here? And how would I solve this?
>
> --
> Cecil Westerhof
> Senior Software Engineer
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/cecilwesterhof

It sounds like there's a bug in pip10 that makes the cache entries use a different format for Python2 versus Python3.
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/5250

So either:

* erase your cache directory. On *nix it's ~/.cache/pip.

or

* run pip with --no-cache-dir

or

* run pip with --cache-dir=X to set a different cache dir for Python2 vs Python3.

or

* await a pip10 bugfix?