Issue with python365.chm on window 7

Brian Gibbemeyer bgibbeme at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 24 08:15:50 EDT 2018

see my comments below denoted by +++++

From:   Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu>
To:     python-list at python.org
Date:   04/23/2018 06:45 PM
Subject:        Re: Issue with python365.chm on window 7
Sent by:        "Python-list"
<python-list-bounces+bgibbeme=us.ibm.com at python.org>

This is a good place to start.

> But I downloaded .chm version of the Python guide and found that it is
not
> working in windows 7

How did you download it?

++++I downloaded it from the
https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-364/ site

How did you try to make it 'work'?
++++Nothing yet
What did it do instead?
++++Used the web resources... but I am looking for an offline resources. I
anticipate I will be in an area that I will not have access to the
internet soon.
Have you successfully run Python Windows Help before?
++++I have used windows help files before and they work fine. In fact I
can user the windows help file that came installed with version of python.
    the one that I download of the web site is the problem.

I installed python.org 64-bit 3.6.5 on Win 10 with the .exe installer.
I run it by clicking on Python 3.6 => Python 3.6 Manuals in the Win10
version of what was Start Menu.  The icon is a notebook page with
question mark.  Window like it has for over a decade, with sidebar on
left.

If anyone else has 3.6.5 (the latest 3.6) on Win 7, what to you see?
++++ if I go that route above I can see a working help file on windows
which is a successful workround for me.
     the one you download from the website by itself I still cannot open.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

--
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mail.python.org_mailman_listinfo_python-2Dlist&d=DwICAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=3-xCv_9fHD4qEMBICdrDmpWXQjchU-G2EWkEPa84asc&m=9cqQ_q_K0jhhqy_GlOHSaApBxOjA_KliaKwffBFsna4&s=P2PPb7UlduE9v_e41k2s_qBM2WRlzEzIv2nNRSGuZzQ&e=