Python aliases under Windows?

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 22:46:11 EDT 2018

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 8:16 PM, Kirill Balunov <kirillbalunov at gmail.com> wrote:

> will `py -3.6 ...` work if Python36 is not on the Path?

Yes, by default it will work. When installed for all users, the
launcher is installed in the Windows directory. For a per-user
install, the launcher is installed in a subdirectory of the user's
program files, and the installer adds the launcher's directory to
PATH.

> Concerning dealing with `python` vs `python3` it is a matter of habit, and I find the
> latter option more reliable and missing it under Windows.

On Windows, I don't have any Python version permanently set in PATH.
It's set by the current virtual environment. Even in Unix, an active
virtual environment has a `python` command for Python 3. The issue is
only with the system `python` command (i.e. /usr/bin/python), which I
don't use directly.