Python aliases under Windows?

Kirill Balunov kirillbalunov at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 16:16:29 EDT 2018

> On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 3:43 PM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Because py.exe is really meant to solve a slightly different problem.
> > On Unix if you have a .py script and you run it directly, without
> > specifying which interpreter to use, the convention is to start the
> > script with a shebang line, and the kernel will transparently use the
> > interpreter specified there. Windows, however, doesn't respect shebang
> > lines and instead associates programs with files by file extension.
> >
> > Here's the problem: Python 2 files have a .py extension. Python 3
> > files also have a .py extension. Windows doesn't allow both Python
> > binaries to be associated with the same extension. So how can we set
> > things up so that launching a Python file will invoke the correct
> > Python version? To solve this, Python ships with py.exe and associates
> > *that* with the .py extension. py.exe knows what Python versions are
> > installed, and it inspects the shebang line to decide which one to run
> > for this particular script.
> >
> > The fact that py.exe can also intelligently select versions from
> > command line arguments is just an added bonus.

Thank you Ian, Terry, Eryk! Now I understand the purpose of py launcher in
general. I don't have Windows near, will `py -3.6 ...` work if Python36 is
not on the Path? If not, it seems to me, that if `python3.exe` and
`python3.6.exe` were provided they would be equivalent, and together they
will complement together and unify UNIX and Windows workflow. Am I missing
something?