Beta release of pip version 10

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 06:24:16 EDT 2018

On 1 April 2018 at 03:16, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

>>> Don't be shy, tell us what those errors are.
>>

>> You meant - don't be lazy to figure out how to reproduce it.
>>
>> UnicodeEncodeError: 'charmap' codec can't encode character
>>
>> when it meets a non-ascii char.
>>
>> e.g. tried this:
>> pip search pygame > a.txt
>>
> Well, _I_ didn't get an error!
>
> One of the lines is:
>
> kundalini (0.4)                - LրVE-like PyGame API
>
> So it's down to what system encoding (active code page) is in use.

As noted in the announcement, please feel free to report the issue. We
fixed a lot of encoding errors for pip 10, but it's quite possible
that we missed this as no-one reported it. We'll need clear
instructions on how to reproduce it, as it doesn't fail for me
(Windows 10, pip 10.0.0b1, Python 3.6, Powershell shell):

>py -m pip search kundalini
kundalini (0.4)  - LÖVE-like PyGame API

Paul