Real Programmers Write Docs

Rob Gaddi rgaddi at highlandtechnology.invalid
Thu Sep 28 13:36:50 EDT 2017

On 09/27/2017 04:15 PM, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> On 9/27/17 6:55 PM, Rob Gaddi wrote:
>> Anyone have any good references on using Sphinx to generate a mix of
>> autogenerated API docs and hand-written "Yeah, but this is what you DO
>> with it" docs?  Free is good but I'm happy to drop money on books if
>> they're worthwhile.
>>

> I can offer you an example: the coverage.py docs are in Sphinx, and use
> both auto-generated and hand-written pages:
> https://github.com/nedbat/coveragepy/tree/master/doc   I'm not sure what
> information you are looking for, maybe this will help?
>
> --Ned.

Helps quite a bit, thanks Ned.  Basically I'm looking for a good example
on structuring this sort of thing to keep it from spiraling out of
control.  Looks like the big trick is to rely on hand-written structure
around autoclass calls rather than letting automodule generate big walls
of text.  PySerial was my other example, and has gone much the same route.