Beginners and experts (Batchelder blog post)

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Thu Sep 28 07:31:15 EDT 2017

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 09:12 pm, bartc wrote:

> And I have little interest in most of this lot (my eyes glaze over just
> reading some of these):
>
>  >      - how to use operating systems

You've never used a system call? Written to a file? Moved the mouse?

>  >      - how to use an editor well (e.g., vim or emacs)

You have no interest in using your editor well?

>  >      - style (e.g. "Clean Code" by Robert Martin, pep 8, ...)

Until now, I thought that people who wrote crappy code did so because they
didn't know any better. This is the first time I've seen somebody state
publicly that they have no interest in writing clean code.

>  >      - test (e.g., unit test), TDD

You don't test your code?

I suppose that makes it a lot easier to program. Just mash down on the keyboard
with both hands, and say that the code is done and working correctly, and move
on to the next project.

*wink*

--
Steve