None is None but not working

Sayth Renshaw flebber.crue at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 16:05:21 EDT 2017

Hi

I have got a successful script setup to rotate through dates and download json data from the url.

As the api returns 200 whether successful I want to check if the file returned is not successful.

when a file doesn't exist the api returns
{'RaceDay': None, 'ErrorInfo': {'SystemId': 200, 'ErrorNo': 55013, 'DisplayMessage': 'File Not Found.', 'ContactSupport': False, 'SupportErrorReference': '200-55013'}, 'Success': False}

When I call data = r.json() it says its type is None if it is not successful so I thought it easier to check that.

However checking for None does not work the flow in my if else falls straight to else.

for dates in fullUrl:
    r = requests.get(dates)
    data = r.json()
    if data is None:
        print("Nothing here")
    else:
        print(data["RaceDay"])

and I get output of

None
None
{'MeetingDate': '2017-01- ... and so on.

How can I actually get this to check?

If i use type(data) I also get None.

Cheers

Sayth