Parentheses (as after "print")

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Sep 27 00:16:52 EDT 2017

ram at zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:

>   But it's a pattern when it means to strip the language
>   of useless boilerplate and still following consistent
>   and simple rules. That was what made Python great.

Yes. Python syntax allows for *mentioning* an object, and also allows
for *calling* that object.

The programmer specifies which one they want by using the appropriate
syntax for each.

The parens for a function call is not an example of “useless
boilerplate”. It is minimal syntax for the distinction to be made.

--
 \          “When I get real bored, I like to drive downtown and get a |
  `\         great parking spot, then sit in my car and count how many |