Running a GUI program haults the calling program (linux)

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Tue Sep 26 02:39:56 EDT 2017

On 25Sep2017 20:38, Kryptxy <kryptxy at protonmail.com> wrote:
>I want to run a GUI program (transmission-gtk) from python. This is what I do:
>
>import subprocess
>subprocess.Popen(['transmission-gtk', link], stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
>
>Where `link` is some magnetic link.
>
>This command opens transmission-gtk, but it haults the calling program, and keeps the terminal busy till the time GUI is running.
>As soon as GUI is closed, the control goes back to the program.

I do not believe this is all your code. Please post a _complete_ example.

Popen dispatches a process. It does not wait for it to terminate. GUI programs
are not special. Therefore, if your calling python program is blocking, it is
blocking somewhere other that this line of code. Please show us where.

Consider putting print() calls through your code to locate where your program
stalls.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> (formerly cs at zip.com.au)