Call by binding [was Re: [Tutor] beginning to code]

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Mon Sep 25 16:00:42 EDT 2017

On 25/09/2017 20:40, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Rhodri James <rhodri at kynesim.co.uk>:
>> On 25/09/17 15:26, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>>> That's not what I said. I said all expressions *evaluate to* pointers.
>>
>> This may well be true in particular implementations, but it is an
>> implementation detail so Chris' point still stands.  Another
>> implementation could evaluate expressions to indices (as BCPL used to
>> treat its globals), pieces of string or cheese, who knows?
>
> Those are all pointers.
>
> A pointer is something that points to a data object.

(Slight sigh). Can I step in as a list owner and ask the people who are
so very fond of debating this topic again and again: please let it drop.

Threads such as this can remain interesting when the discussion
generates a better understanding of the subject matter as the
contributors are forced to articulate their positions leading to some
kind of convergence of understanding.

However, even if this were the only iteration of this debate, it would
be clear by now that there's no chance of a simple "I see what you mean"
moment. And this is far from the only iteration, even in the past few
months.

I feel for your need to demonstrate the validity of your respective
positions. But it has moved on from being an enlightening debate and
into the realms of mere tedium.

Thanks.

TJG