Call by binding [was Re: [Tutor] beginning to code]

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Mon Sep 25 09:16:09 EDT 2017

Antoon Pardon <antoon.pardon at vub.be>:

> Op 25-09-17 om 14:16 schreef Marko Rauhamaa:
>> Python only operates with pointers. You can operate with pointers in
>> Pascal as well.
>
> You are talking about implementation details.

No, I'm not. I'm talking about pointers in the abstract sense, both in
case of Python and Pascal. Neither language gives any hint as to the
physical nature of the pointer.

All Python expressions evaluate to pointers (or handles or references;
call them whatever you want). All Python "lvalues" hold pointers.

Marko