[Tutor] beginning to code

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Mon Sep 25 08:53:14 EDT 2017

On 9/25/17 8:24 AM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 08:05 pm, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>
>> Pass by reference doesn't imply being able to
>> write a swap function.
> Really. Do you have a counter-example?
>

>> A swap function as possible in pascal requires two conditions.
>>
>> 1) Pass by reference
>> 2) Copy-over assignment.
> I don't know what you think "copy-over assignment" means, but none of
> DuckDuckGo, Google, Bing or Yahoo finds that term except in your post.

Would we be able to end these interminable debates if we just agree that
we all know how it works, and it isn't important to come up with a
simple name for what it is? It seems clear to me that "value" and
"reference" are wildly vague terms, used slightly differently by each
language, and by different people even in the same language if they have
different perspectives.

Can't we just stop? :)

--Ned.