[Tutor] beginning to code

Bill BILL_NOSPAM at whoknows.net
Sat Sep 23 19:13:12 EDT 2017

Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 8:18 AM, Bill <BILL_NOSPAM at whoknows.net> wrote:
>> Stephan Houben wrote:
>>> Amen.
>>>
>> All one has to do, I think, is consider (1) that passing objects by "making
>> copies" of them, would be prohibitively expensive and consider that
>> something else has to happen as an alternative, and (2) understand that in
>> Python, objects don't have names, they have references (which have names).
>> The rest could be "implementation dependent" (no?)   To be amusing, how did
>> the chicken pass an egg to the_other_side_of_the_road(e)?  Could the egg get
>> crushed (stay tuned)?
> Actually they don't "have" references in any real sense of possession.
I agree (I was a bit hasty in my choice of words); but if they didn't
"have" these references, it would be difficult, though not impossible,
to refer to them.   Also keep in mind that the garbage collector keeps
track, generally, of how many there are for each object!   So from the
gc's point of view, objects (definitely) "have" references.      Next,
what will Egg.__del__() do? : )