[Tutor] beginning to code

ROGER GRAYDON CHRISTMAN dvl at psu.edu
Sat Sep 23 17:03:29 EDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 12:03 PM, Dennis Lee Bier <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:>
On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 23:30:34 +1000, Steve D'Aprano

<steve+python at pearwood.info> declaimed the following:

>The exercise is to demonstrate pass by reference semantics. That requires
>
>demonstrating the same semantics as the Pascal swap procedure:
>

>procedure swap(var a, var b):
>
>  begin
>
>    tmp := a;
>
>    a := b;
>
>    b := tmp;
>
>  end;
>

>(ignoring the type declarations for brevity).

	Or FORTRAN (since call-by-reference has been the standard in that

language from the start -- no special keywords needed to enable reference

semantics)... It's been 20 years, and I'm using an F90 text, so this is

going to be less than perfect:

	subroutine iswap(a, b)
	integer	:: a

	integer	:: b

	a = IEOR(a, b)

	b = IEOR(a, b)

	a = IEOR(a, b)

	return

	end

>{That's a bitwise exclusive OR; no temp storage needed}
>
> a = 123
>
> b = 321
>
> a = a ^ b

314

> b = a ^ b

123

> a = a ^ b

321

And then along comes someone who asks for
to swap array elements a[I] and a[j], where I and j
just happen to be equal.    You don't preserve the
values, as would be anticipated, but instead clear
the argument(s) to zero.

Saving one temp storage is a very tiny gain for the potential cost
of a program malfunction.   And if you go so far as to bring in
a compiled language like Fortran into the mix, where the
'temp storage' is just a machine register, and not RAM,
you really have saved nothing at all.

I usually do not encourage people to optimize correctness out of their code.