Change project licence?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 05:14:44 EDT 2017

On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 7:07 PM, Kryptxy <kryptxy at protonmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you all! I opened a ticket about the same (on github).
> I got response from most of them, and all are agreeing to the change.
> However, one contributor did not respond at all. I tried e-mailing, but no
> response.
> Can I still proceed changing the licence? It has been more than a week since
> the ticket was opened.

Nope. Contributions made under the GPL have a guarantee that they will
only and forever be used in open source projects. You're trying to
weaken that guarantee, so you have to get clear permission from
everyone involved.

Unless you can show that the contributions in question are so trivial
that there's no code that can be pinpointed as that person's, or you
replace all that person's code, you can't proceed to relicense it
without permission.

ChrisA