search and replace first amount of strings instances with one thing and a second amount of instances with another thing-

Bill BILL_NOSPAM at whoknows.net
Sat Sep 23 04:51:25 EDT 2017

Bill wrote:
> validationmail1 at gmail.com wrote:
>> i have a code in python to search and replace what i need though is
>> to replace the first say 10 instances of the number 1 with 2 and the
>> second 10 instances with the number 3. anybody knows how to do that?
> Do you mean the (integer) number 1 or the character '1'? For instance,
> if the first line of the file is:
> "There were 100 cats in the yard."
> Do you want to change this to
> "There were 200 cats in the yard."?
> Remember that string objects are "immutable" so your code probably
> wouldn't work exactly like that.

I now realize that my last line does not apply. I suggest you start by
just thinking about changing the first ten ones to twos.  Once you do
that, you should have little trouble finishing the job. Being a Python
newbie myself, your example helped motivate me to try my own example.  I
used "type" to learn the data type of line (in your example), about
which I was curious. My first concern was that is might only be
"interable" object, but I learned that more is true.