Old Man Yells At Cloud

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 11:59:13 EDT 2017

On 21/09/17 16:12, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 08:19 pm, Rhodri James wrote:
>
>> (That's basically my gripe against print becoming a function in Python3.
>>    It makes a lot of sense as has already been pointed out, but it breaks
>> every beginners tutorial.)
> Nobody made that decision lightly. It wasn't a spur of the moment decision,
> Guido didn't wake up one morning and say "Hey, how about we break a whole lot
> of the Python ecosystem for giggles!" You can't fix mistakes without breaking
> things that depend on those mistakes.

Oh, I don't doubt it, and Python3 is the better for it.  It's just that
my major use for Python at the time was teaching a summer course for
12-15 year olds, and switching to Python3 would have involved rewriting
almost every worksheet we had.  So we didn't.

(Looking at the worksheet sources on Github, the course still hasn't
made the switch!)

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd