How does CPython build it's NEWS or changelog?

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 05:24:06 EDT 2017

> I just discovered that CPython now uses Misc/NEWS.d/next to collect
> changes an there are a lot of Misc/NEWS/*.rst files for the respective
> released version. I'm investigating whether to adopt this for PyInstaller.
>
> What is the tooling for this? Is there some documentation, maybe a
> mailingslist-diskussion or a but-report?

Check Tools/scripts/patchcheck.py in the CPython repo. There is also a
patchcheck target in the top level Makefile.pre.in file. I imagine
this stuff is only exercised by the release process, so the various
release managers probably know this stuff best. In theory,
python-dev at python.org might be the best place to contact them, though
I suspect that's not quite the right place for an extended discussion
of the topic.

Skip